Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Deceptively Delicious

Have you heard of this cook book? I think I may have found something good. One of my New Year's Resolutions is to cook more healthy.  This cook book gives ideas on how you can hide vegetables in the foods that you cook. Example: tonight I cooked chicken nuggets.  The hidden ingredient was spinach.  You steam and then puree it. Add it to the egg mixture that you use to dip chicken into.  Then dip chicken into breadcrumb mixture as you would, normally.  It was pretty good. My kids can be picky and they really liked it.  The chicken nuggets had a green tint to them but my kids didn't seem to mind.  I will let you know how it goes when I try other recipe.

6 comments:

Kacey said...

Let me know how it goes. I got this at our library and tried a couple recipes. I thought they tasted good but there was no fooling my kids. Can't they grow vegetables that are pink with sparkles? I swear that would work wonders in our house.

Mike, Jen, McKenna and Jackson said...

love it have it use it.....

April Lowe said...

Way to go! Stamp of approval from a dietitian friend! This is a good book and I own it myself. Let me know what recipes your family likes.

kimbo said...

I've used a few of the recipes. I really like the tacos. It's basically normal tacos with vegetable puree added to the meat mixture. But Ella still won't eat it! I also made the mac 'n cheese. Ella took one bite and said, "All done!" But I ate it and thought it was better than Kraft. One more thing, I haven't taken the time to puree my own vegetables, I just use the baby food in my pantry. Is that cheating? :) Oh! My kids liked one of the muffin recipes. Nothin' like having some brown sugar on top of muffins to get your kids to eat them. :)

Whitney Jo said...

I bought this book...what a great idea huh! I made the brownies and let's just say my kids wouldn't touch those (but my friends 3 year old loved them). I think my boys are getting too old to fool..oh well.=)

kim said...

I actually have used this and my kids did like the brownies and the french toast. I will be curious to hear what recipies out of it your kids will eat.