I keep hearing people say they are nervous about putting their names on their blog. Should I be worried or are we being a little paranoid? Maybe I need to be more paranoid. Let me know what ya'll think.
I have had people tell me the same thing. I just try not to give out too much information and you can also put stat counters on your blog so you can track the traffic. One more option is setting your blog to a private status so people would have to ask you for the password if they wanted to look at it.
I started out paranoid but have decided that there are so many hundreds and hundreds of blogs with hundreds of peoples names out there that after a while I didn't see that it was that big a deal. I'm very careful about the specific information on my blog though. Also I don't have our family name anywhere in the address or header so it can't be found by searches unless you know the EXACT name of our blog.
I also started out a little concerned, hence my name ... and the name of my family members on my blog. But just like Kacey said, I've now realized just how many blogs there are, so I'm not really worried about it. I know there are lots of people we don't know who link from one page to the next to the next and end up on ours, but I figure it's usually some LDS mom who has a life pretty much like mine. Otherwise they'd be pretty darn bored reading about my life.
fyi - i tried searching for your blog address when i misplaced it and the search brought up nothing. i've left our location off of ours and our last name, but i feel that's sufficient. also, blogger lets you specify if you want to be searchable or not. feels pretty safe. i think my hubby doesn't want to be found by crazed ex-employees, etc. like the one who stole a truck and torched it. he has more privacy issues than most people because of his work.
6 comments:
I have had people tell me the same thing. I just try not to give out too much information and you can also put stat counters on your blog so you can track the traffic. One more option is setting your blog to a private status so people would have to ask you for the password if they wanted to look at it.
I started out paranoid but have decided that there are so many hundreds and hundreds of blogs with hundreds of peoples names out there that after a while I didn't see that it was that big a deal. I'm very careful about the specific information on my blog though. Also I don't have our family name anywhere in the address or header so it can't be found by searches unless you know the EXACT name of our blog.
I also started out a little concerned, hence my name ... and the name of my family members on my blog. But just like Kacey said, I've now realized just how many blogs there are, so I'm not really worried about it. I know there are lots of people we don't know who link from one page to the next to the next and end up on ours, but I figure it's usually some LDS mom who has a life pretty much like mine. Otherwise they'd be pretty darn bored reading about my life.
P.S. This is Kim Harmon. ;)
fyi - i tried searching for your blog address when i misplaced it and the search brought up nothing. i've left our location off of ours and our last name, but i feel that's sufficient. also, blogger lets you specify if you want to be searchable or not. feels pretty safe. i think my hubby doesn't want to be found by crazed ex-employees, etc. like the one who stole a truck and torched it. he has more privacy issues than most people because of his work.
I wonder that too. The only thing is if someone googles your name, you will come up on a thousand sites. . . I don't worry too much about it.
I am just paranoid by nature. Sorry for making you a little paranoid.
Post a Comment